Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Those Japanese Are Allll Right


The Japanese typically have one reaction when they see someone going for a run: staring. Running is not at all common here; I have probably seen less than 10 other runners during my time in Toyama (not counting the foreigners). So usually, as I make my way through the city to the river, I attempt to tune out the fact that all eyes are on me. It's a nice, awkward feeling.
Today, I was stretching in a park after a run when a man walked up to me. He was middle aged, dressed nicely, probably out for a stroll before work. He was holding two Gatorades in his hand and was offering me one. What a nice guy! I happily drank it instead of the lukewarm bottle of tap water I had in my bag. And, one of the best parts of speaking minimal Japanese, a simple thank you is all that needs to be said. No conversation necessary. Thanks, guy.
At home there are at lot less stares while running, but no one ever offers you free refreshments.

1 comment:

kathleen said...

that's beautiful. can i offer you some cyber-ade? it's the closest thing i can think of to show my undying love for you. sigh.