Monday, March 3, 2008

Wii-shimashita



It occurred to me today that blogging is like a tame form of exhibitionism. And, I must say that even though I woke up this morning excited to write things down for people to read, this thought made me feel apprehensive once again. Is that something I want to associate with myself? Oh well, too late I suppose.

That said, today was a mixture of high and low emotions for me, but, luckily, neither was too overwhelming (read: nothing exciting happened today).
-On the positive, Japanese class was excellent. I'm starting to see that if I keep up with this class I can really learn a lot while I'm here. I can now describe my day for you in Japanese, should you so wish, provided you are really only interested in what time I wake up, what hours I work, when I have lunch break, and when I go to sleep. I could maybe include some other interesting tidbits (like when I eat breakfast or read a book), but let's not get too crazy.
-Today's unfortunate event occurred this evening. I accidentally placed my big yellow stuffed tofu up against my space heater. Within only a few seconds I smelled burning. Now I have a big stuffed animal with a singed hole in it and a better understanding of why my boss warned me not to burn down my apartment when I first moved in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Leah,

I've found your profile on Blogger under "Toyama". I am not sure if you still live there but I am moving from the US to Toyama in May and I am looking for some basic advice/guidance on practical things (like electricity, brining my computer and such) and some people who speak English over there.

Let me know if you could help out.

Thanks in advance,
Norbert Szolnoky
Thornton, Colorado

Leah Louise said...

Hey!

I got here not too long ago, so I'm still in Toyama and will be for little while. There are a bunch of friendly English speakers here, and it's a pretty nice place to be. As far as electricity, our outlets are the same except they don't have outlets for cables with three prongs, so you may need three-to-two prong adapters for a computer or something. Who will you be working for? Let me know if you have other questions/concerns/anything at all, I'm happy to help!

-Leah

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah,

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know there are a lot of English speakers are there in Toyama. I am sure I will need some company in the beginning as I don't speak any Japanese. Do you know of any gathering spots/clubs where English speakers get together?

Regarding employment, I am actually keeping my job with my employer in Colorado as I am a webmaster and I can do my work through the Internet. I am sure I will pick up some local gigs once I am there - perhaps teach English part-time, mainly for me to get familiar with the culture and accelerate my Japanese learning.

The main reason I am moving there is because my wife is Japanese and we wanted to get more acquainted with her family, especially for our two children.

Thanks for the electricity info. I have been doing my own research and figured that most of my computer stuff operates in a voltage spectrum of 100-240V so they won't need any transformers. That's good because I definitely don't want to shell out a few thousand dollars for a new system.

So are you a Wii enthusiast? I never played with that thing but I am a 'little' older then you are :-)

My email address is norbert@nswebsolutions.com. Keep in touch - I can surely use some practical guidance from a 'gaijin' in Toyama :-)

All the best,
Norbert